This is the best quiche recipe. Literally. It's one of the dishes I make that is always a crowd-pleaser and one of the most requested foods I make. I feel that it's the best quiche recipe because it can be something "new" just by adding a few ingredients (or swapping out some for a different flavor). It's easy and requires very little monitoring until closer to the end of baking.
So this best quiche recipe originated as a Quiche Loraine recipe I got from my French exchange student's sister 20+ years ago. I've lost her exact recipe years ago, and have resorted to store-bought dough, but the core of the best quiche recipe in reality is hers.
Compared to many quiche recipes around the net (like this one), I think what makes this one come out so perfect is the ratio of cheese to egg to cream.
Finished size: 9" pie
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40-60 minutes
Ingredients for Best Quiche Recipe
- (1) frozen pie crust
- 8 oz of your favorite cheese (shredded) - I prefer to use white melty cheeses like mozzarella or an Italian cheese blend. Swiss is also a good choice or my personal favorite: Gruyere!
- (7) extra large eggs
- OPTIONAL: (4 - 6) slices of plain, boiled ham. I like to use the ham from the deli and have them slice thinner than sandwich slices, but not shredded. Alternatively, you can use 2 - 4 slices of super thin-sliced prosciutto or 4 slices of cooked bacon
- Garlic powder (light sprinkle; do not use fresh minced or chopped since it won't spread through the mixture well - you'll thank me later)
- A sprinkle of dry basil (or 3 - 4 leafs of fresh basil chopped into ribbons)
- 2 oz heavy cream
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (fresh ground; to taste)
- Paprika (light sprinkle)
- Nutmeg (light sprinkle)
Directions for Making this Best Quiche Recipe
- Bring pie crust to room temp per instructions on the box. Place in 9" pie pan (I like to use glass ones)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Prep the quiche:
- Whisk together the (7) extra large eggs and 2 oz. heavy cream
- Sprinkle in the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Set aside.
- OPTIONAL: if you're adding a meat in, chop up to small pieces. Create a layer on the bottom of the crust.
- Shred 8 oz cheese (if not already shredded). Add your cheese to the pie crust (on top of the meat if you used any)
- If you're using fresh basil, add now just like the ham - sprinkle evenly with your fingers (if not, you'll use the dry stuff right before it goes in the oven
- Whisk your egg/cream mixture again, then pour over the center of the quiche.
- Using a spoon or fork, carefully press the cheese down so it all gets wet with the egg mixture. Take care not to puncture the crust while you do this.
- Sprinkle lightly with paprika, dry basil (if you're using the dried kind) and nutmeg. Just enough of each to add a touch of color 'cause a little dry spice goes a long way!
Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the top starts to brown.
Tent with aluminum foil and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes.
Increase the temperature to 400°F, remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes until it's set and the edges of the crust are golden.